REALTORS® to help HabiJax build affordable housing for Northeast Florida’s most vulnerable
Everyone deserves a decent place to live, and who knows this better than members of Northeast Florida’s real estate community. This year NEFAR’s Community Affairs Task Force is calling for volunteers and sponsors to take part in its HabiJax Volunteer Day event on Friday, Nov. 5, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. This event was rescheduled from its original date of Sept. 16.
Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville, Inc.— lovingly known as HabiJax – is one of 1,300 Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the United States and one of the largest non-profit affordable housing builders in Duval County. Having provided homeownership opportunities and other housing services to more than 2,300 families, HabiJax is considered one of the most successful Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the United States.
During this event, volunteers will work on a HabiJAX construction site. The location of the construction site will be announced the day before the event. All tools and building materials will be provided by HabiJax.
NEFAR volunteers will be divided into two shifts with 12 working the early 8 a.m. shift while the remaining 12 work the later 12:30 to 3 p.m. shift. All volunteers must be at least 16 years old and be willing to sign a HabiJax waiver form.
Lunch will be provided to volunteers on both the morning and afternoon shifts. Snacks and water will also be provided.
Sponsors are needed to cover the cost of lunch and snacks as well as the $2,500 construction fee required by HabiJax to take part in the event. If you are interested in sponsoring please send an email to Nicole Carroll.
Participants should wear comfortable, light-colored, cotton, casual attire that will not be ruined if it gets dirty and closed-toed shoes, such as sneakers or boots. A hat is also recommended. No jewelry should be worn on the construction site as it can be damaged or lost very easily. Also, it is recommended that volunteers bring a reusable water bottle.
Volunteers need to register both on NEFAR’s calendar page and on the Volunteer Calendar on the HabiJax website.
STEP 1: Register on NEFAR, Click Here
STEP 2: Sign up on the HabiJax website (follow the instructions below).
** Please carefully read all of the following instructions first before proceeding with registration**
- Click this link and you will be taken to the HabiJax registration portal.
- You should see a blue box in the middle with the following "Reservation Code: NEFAR." If you do not see the blue box you will need to enter the reservation code by clicking the small link with the arrow that says "Use Reservation Code." Enter the code: NEFAR.
- Hover over and click the box at the bottom of the page that says "Construction - Fall 2021 Calendar (Sept, Oct, Nov)." You'll be taken to a page showing the two time slots available for sign up.
- Click the green sign up button next to the your desired time slot.
- On the next screen enter your email and first name and click "Next" (**NOTE: Ignore the info in the blue box**)
- If you do not already have a volunteer profile with HabiJax you will be taken to a form to create one. Please fill out all of the required fields and submit the form then follow the prompts and proceed to the next step. If you already have a "volunteer profile" with HabiJax just follow the prompts and proceed to the next step.
- You should now be registered to work the event. The final step is to complete the HabiJax waiver form found here.
**All volunteers must be at least 16 years old