Feb. 19, 2014
Melanie Green, Communications Director
Voice (904) 394-9139
Fax (904) 398-8025
2014 NEFAR President
Voice (904) 626-9900
January 2014 Housing Sales Results Announced
New listings push inventory up slightly, but homes selling in average of 86 days. Closed sales hit 1,435; 10.1 percent more than a year ago but lower than December. Prices soften a bit.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - January 2014 real estate sales and activity is now available from the Northeast Florida Association of Realtors on NEFAR.com. Except where otherwise indicated, statistics reflect combined results for single-family residential and condominium properties.
• There were 1,435 closed sales for the month, up 10.1 percent from a year ago but down from December 2013's 1,840 sales.
• Pending sales came in at 1,983; a 14.5 percent increase over January 2013 and topping December 2013's 1,799.
• Sellers added 2,771 properties to the inventory (new listings); a 10.1 percent increase from last January.
• Because of the influx of additional new listings, inventory in January reached 9,210 homes; higher than December 2013's 8,767 but a 4.1 percent drop from a year ago.
• Median sales price dropped 4.5 percent year over year to reach $131,700.
• Of the 1,435 sales, 770 were traditional and 665 were lender mediated (lender mediated sales accounted for 46.3 of total sales).
• Of the 2,771 new listings hitting the market, 1,859 were traditional and 912 were lender mediated (lender mediated properties made up 32.9 percent of the total).
• There is now a 4.8 months' worth of homes for sale.
• Days on market dropped to 86, down 14.9 percent from a year ago.
2014 NEFAR President Linda McMorrow says, "After a robust December, number of sales and sales prices dipped somewhat in January. Historically, January is a slower month for real estate after the end of the year rush. Overall, however, the Northeast Florida real estate market continues on a stabilization track."
For these and numerous other real estate market statistics, take advantage of the FREE market reports available on the Newsroom | Market Stats tab of NEFAR.com. Three reports are available: 1) The Monthly Indicators and Housing Supply Overview Report summarizes complete activity for NEFAR's entire service area plus *partial information for St. Johns County and Nassau County. 2) Lender Mediated sales reports offer a targeted look specifically at lender mediated sales and how they compare to traditional sales. 3) Annual Reports - 2011, 2012 and 2013 are available - give an extensive year in review, with comparisons from the four preceding years included.
The Northeast Florida Association of Realtors provides professional development, political advocacy, professional standards administration, media relations, and promotional activities and exchange of information among its members. NEFAR serves as the voice for real estate in northeast Florida; serving the public through efforts to protect private property rights and community affairs programs. NEFAR is Northeast Florida's largest professional association, comprising more than 5,000 members working in all facets of the real estate industry, including residential and commercial sales as well as property management. All statistics in NEFAR's reports are based on data compiled from NEFAR's wholly owned subsidiary, the Northeast Florida Multiple Listing Service (NEFMLS). NEFAR is headquartered in Jacksonville, with satellite Service Centers in Orange Park, Jacksonville Beach, Palatka and World Golf Village.
*As all Nassau and St. Johns County Realtors are not participants of the NEFMLS; reports provided do not represent the full extent of Realtor sales in those counties.
# # #